Episode ThemeJustice-Seeking: How do you make a decision when it come to choosing between right and wrong?
Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming
LET'S GET STARTED
Before listening, think about:
1. Ephesians 4 is a chapter that talks about growing and knowing Jesus. How can knowing Jesus help you when it comes to deciding what is right and wrong?
2. In the Bible, Daniel and his friends were young men in a strange land. When their country was conquered, they were taken far away to the nation of Babylon to serve in the king’s court. In Daniel 1, the king of Babylon assigned them food and drink, but this diet did not follow God’s laws. So, Daniel and his friends made the difficult decision to ask for something different. The guards grudgingly granted the request. After a while, Daniel and his friends were healthier, wiser and better workers than all the other servants. They had followed God’s laws and were rewarded by God for their faithfulness.
Now, listen to “Hack Attack.”
ALL ABOUT THIS EPISODE
Who’s planning the biggest prank in Reptarium Middle School History? The new kid Kenan Leon seems to have all the answers, but does he know right from wrong? How far can this prank go before someone has to speak up?
- As part of their prank, what were some things that Kenan and the boys changed when they got access to the school’s network?
- Why did Kenan agree to do the school prank?
- What did Kenan do to Cole when he thought that Cole was being mean to Spike and Liz?
- What Bible verse did Miss Wattle share with Liz that helped him know what he should do next?
SO NOW WHAT?
In the story, Kenan follows the group and gets deeper into trouble, because he wants the other boys to be his friends. Liz is involved at first, but when Miss Wattle shares Philippians 1:10 – “so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ,” Liz knows that he needs to do what is best, pure and blameless.
Draw a vertical line down the middle of a piece of paper to create two columns. At the top of the left column, write the title “Good Ways People Use Technology.” At the top of the right column, write the title “Bad Ways People Use Technology.” As a family, talk about and write down how people have used technology—like computers or their phones—in both good and bad ways.
Communicating with friends who live far away
Do some ways of using technology fit into both columns? Were there any ways of using technology that you and your family disagreed about? What ways did you all agree on? For example, is it okay to download shows or music without paying for them?
Is it hard to discern what is best, pure and blameless?
Answers to Story Quiz
1. They changed the times and duration of the school bells and they changed Miss Wattle’s announcements. 2. Being new to the school, Kenan wanted to make new friends, and Spike told him that by doing this, “Everyone will want to be our friends.” 3. Kenan hacked Cole’s 5000 channel television so that he could only watch cooking shows 4. She tells him about Philippians 1:10—“so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ.”