Episode ThemeDoing What’s Right: Honor another person’s property and privacy.
Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.
LET'S GET STARTED
Before listening, think about:
1. 1 Peter 2:17a says, “Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.” What does the word respect mean? How do you show respect to your family members and your schoolmates? Give some examples.
2. God gave specific guidelines on how to live a life of respect for him, for yourself and for the people around you. You may not always agree with others, but respecting others means you will honor them and treat them and their property with politeness and courtesy. At Mount Sinai, God gave Moses a list of ten commandments (Exodus 20:1-17). These commands were meant to guide the Israelites in living holy and respectful lives. The first two commandments tell about respecting God. The next eight tell about respecting the people around us. As you listen to the program, think about what the commandments say about treating others.
Now, listen to “I Spy Granny”.
ALL ABOUT THIS EPISODE
When Liz, Morrie and Scooter do some snooping around in places they shouldn’t be, they discover clues to the mystery of the Blue Pearl. Who was the Blue Pearl?
1. Who was Liz, Morrie and Scooter’s history report about?
2. What spy tool were they trying to make?
3. What were three things they found in Granny’s trunk?
4. What kind of equipment did they find in the underground bunker?
5. Who is the Blue Pearl?
SO NOW WHAT?
In this episode, Liz, Morrie and Scooter snoop in Granny’s personal things and start a chain of events that they can’t control. Respecting someone means you act in a way that shows you care about their feelings and their well-being. It doesn’t mean that you will always agree or get along with someone, but that you can see them as a fellow child of God, made in his image. Jesus said the most important rule was to love God most of all and to love the people around you (Matthew 22:37-40). This is the greatest commandment. When you treat people the way you would like to be treated, you are showing respect for them and caring for them in a way that pleases God. This includes minding your own business and respecting someone else’s property.
Who deserves our respect? 1 Peter 2:17 says we need to show respect to other people, other Christians, God and people in authority over us (teachers, police officers, coaches, government). Take a piece of paper and fold it in half. Then fold it in half again the other way. Open it up. You should have 4 rectangles. In the middle of the paper, print the word, “Respect” in fancy letters. Then write the words of who we need to respect in each box (People, Christians, God, Authority). Draw a picture for each of these situations of one way you can show respect . Share your poster with your family and then hang it on the fridge to help you all to remember to be respectful.
Answers to Story Quiz
1. The Blue Pearl 2. A periscope 3. Periscopes, foreign money, uniforms, pots and pans and passports 4. Radio equipment 5. Granny