Episode ThemeImage-Reflecting: How to be a thankful person.
Give thanks in all circumstances for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
LET'S GET STARTED
1. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 says to, “Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” We should be thankful no matter what we have or what we experience. When is it easy to be thankful? When is it difficult? Why does God want us to be thankful?
2. In Luke 17: 11-19, Jesus heals ten lepers from their leprosy. Only one returns to Jesus to say, “Thank you.” The others don’t remember to be thankful. Do you ever forget to be thankful? Think about how the one leper was thankful as you listen to today’s program.
Now, listen to “MVP”.
ALL ABOUT THIS EPISODE
Lucille starts her program for broadcast on WLZR, Liz’s radio station. One of her callers is Colleen, a basketball player, who is sick of her parent’s attention. But Rita O’Dell a famous player helps Colleen to see that having supportive parents is really a blessing.
1. What’s the name of the program Lucille is doing for Liz’s radio station?
2. What’s bothering Colleen?
3. What sports super star visits Terrene?
4. How does Rita change Colleen’s attitude toward her parents?
SO NOW WHAT?
In this episode, Rita helps someone to see what a blessing her “annoying” parents really are. Are you a thankful person—a person who is full of thanks? Research shows that when you are thankful, you are happy. You are happy no matter what you have or experience. And people who focus on being thankful for what they have are happier than those who complain about what they don't have.The memory verse doesn't say we are to be thankful for every circumstance, but in every circumstance. So even if something you are going through is really tough, you can give thanks in that circumstance. You can be thankful for God's presence and love in every circumstance.
Many times our prayer time includes lots of requests and very few “thank you’s. And yet, we have so much to be thankful for. Make your heart a thankful heart.
Want to dig deeper and learn more about being a person who reflects God’s image? Read Colossians 3:17 and Matt 25:31-43 , which says that whatever we do to people (who are made in his image), we do to God
Start a gratitude jar. Find an empty jar. Each day, have each family member share one thing that happened that day for which they can be grateful. Write this on a slip of paper and fold it and put it in the jar. At the end of a year, you will have a year full of “thank you”’s that you can go back and reread.
Answers to Story Quiz
1. "What's Bothering You?" 2. Her parents—she thinks the way they support her is embarrassing. 3. Rita O'Dell. 4. Rita talked about how much she appreciates the support her parents gave her when she was growing up.