Episode ThemeIdolatry-Discerning: 10 Commandments #2 - No Idols
You shall not make for yourself an idol . . .
Have you heard about the 10 Commandments that God gave to the Israelites? How many can you name?
How did you do? Here they are:
- Do not put any gods in place of the Lord.
- No idols.
- Do not misuse God’s name.
- Keep the Sabbath holy.
- Honor your parents.
- Do not murder.
- Do not commit adultery.
- Do not steal.
- Do not lie about anyone.
- Do not want what others have.
These rules are an expression of God’s love for us. They are like an instruction manual for human beings that, when followed, promises a godly life. Talk with your family and try to figure out why God gave us each rule. Here are some ideas:
God spoke all these words saying, “I am the Lord God your father who loves you and wants to protect you.
- Worship only me, and I will free you from being a slave to things like money or friends.
- Serve only me, and I will be with you forever to love you, to give to you, and to keep you safe in me.
- Use my name in an honorable way, and I will listen when you call to me.
- Keep the Sabbath holy, and your body, mind, and spirit will be refreshed and ready to face another busy week with me as your guide.
- Honor your parents, and your life will be richly rewarded with love and respect.
- Respect all living things, for I have created everything—including you.
- Respect your body for it must last you a lifetime.
- Respect other’s property and depend on me to fill all your needs, for I will do so.
- Tell only the truth so that you will be respected and through your life my name will be glorified.
- Enjoy what I have given you and be happy, knowing that a heavenly kingdom waits for you.”
Following God’s rules leads to happy living!
Don’t forget to print out your Kids Corner 10 Commandments bookmark.