Episode ThemeCommunity- Building: Kindness, Respect for others
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.
When do you use your best manners? What if you were an Old Testament kid who needed to use your best manners on every holy day? How often do you think you would have to be on your best behavior?
You would need to use your best manners lots of days because the Israelites had many special days to either thank God or to think about God.
- Sabbath days. Every 7th day is a day for rest and thinking about God. Definitely a best manner day for you.
- Sabbath year. Every 7th year is a whole year dedicated to rest and thinking about God. Imagine using your best manners every day for an entire year.
- Year of Jubilee. Every 50th year is dedicated to God.
- Passover. The first month of each year begins with remembering how God led the Israelites out of Egypt. Best manners are required from you.
- Firstfruits. You and your family recognize God's goodness to you for your crops.
- Feast of Weeks. This feast to thank God for his blessing of the harvest happens in the third month of every year.
- RoshHashanah. This New Year's Day presents your family before God.
- Day of Atonement. This holy day is to clean everyone from sin before God.
- Feast of Booths. This feast thanks God for the harvest.
- Purim. This feast remembers how God saved Israel through Queen Esther.
- Hanukkah. This feast remembers the dedication of the temple.
That's a lot of special days for using your best manners! Why are best manners so important? All of these holy days were for God. Using anything but your best Old Testament manners would be dis-honoring to God. You are a New Testament kid. This means you don't have to wait for feast days to talk to God and celebrate his goodness. Praise God today, using your best manners!