Impress Upon Your Children
Deuteronomy 6 tells parents to "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them upon your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up."
Summer can be a time to slow down and give more attention to God's commandment to impress upon our children how to love God and how to love our neighbors. Here are some summer ideas to do just that:
- Listen to audio Bible stories.
- Act out Bible stories. Kids Corner website has both audio stories and scripts. Check out this one called The Good Neighbor.
- Create and answer daily Bible trivia questions.
- Find Bible verses, create posters for them, memorize them.
- Read picture Bible story books (even with older children)
- Have your children choose picture Bible story books to read to someone else.
- Each story in the Bible tells us something about God. Hunt for the meaning behind a Bible story.
- Create lists of how we can love God and how we can love our neighbors. Choose weekly ways to demonstrate love.
Summer is a wonderful time for many things including teaching our children about God!